Monday, March 8, 2010

The Power of Food














How have you used
food in a professional or personal situation to get something done or achieve a goal? THEN, share with us with a recipe or dish!

So, since I used to be a pastry chef, everything involved food! As some one who loves food, I love feeding people. Starting four years ago, before my sister moved from SF to Michigan, we started what has now become an annual tradition. The Pre-Thanksgiving Thanksgiving. That's right, a Thanksgiving feast before Thanksgiving! About two weeks before to be exact (what?! no one would come if I had the dinner after T-day!). This year my roommates and I served three turkeys and countless dishes to over 60 people. Having grown up with a large family, I wanted to show my friends how awesome a large Thanksgiving can be, surrounded by loved ones and good food. We took care of most of the food, some people brought a few pies (and with the 5 I made, it looked like a state fair when we were all set up) and the rest of the guests brought plenty of wine. My Dad had grown up in Texas and was a big fan of sweet potato pie, which is what I grew up eating. Of course I ultimately decided it is far superior to the heavy gummy pumpkin stuff, and honestly - I've converted quite a few folks over the years. I just have to make sure I have plenty of sweet potato pie!

The Far Superior Sweet Potato Pie


Here's the recipe for 2 (9" approx) pies. Sorry if I explain too much, I find it easier to over explain so you'll know what to do! And trust me... you'll want two pies.

Pie Dough (for 2 pies - single crust)
2.5 cups All-purpose Flour
1 tsp Salt
2 Tbsp Sugar
14 Tbsp Butter (1 3/4 sticks), cut into 1/2" cubes and put back in fridge to stay cold!
8-10 Tbsp Ice Water

In food processor, pulse flour, sugar and salt until combined. Add half the cold butter, pulse until the mixture is like coarse sand. Add the remaining cold butter, and pulse until the butter is in pieces no larger than small peas, about 10 1-second pulses.

Dump mixture in medium bowl. Sprinkle 8 Tbsp Ice Water (but don't add the ice to the mixture) over the mixture, and with a rubber spatula, use a folding motion to mix. Press down on the dough with the broad side of the spatula until the dough sticks together, adding up to 2 Tbsp more ice water if the dough will not come together.

Flatten the dough into two 4-inch disks. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate at least 1 hour or up to 2 days before rolling.

Remove the dough from the fridge, and let sit for maybe 20-30 minutes, until not brittle, but still chilled! It'll soften up as you start to roll it out, and it's much easier to handle if it's cool. Roll out on lightly floured surface to about 12 inch diameter.

Ease the dough into the pan, taking care not to stretch it (it'll shrink if you do!). Cut off the over hang, leaving about 1/2 inch, fold it over, crimp edge together, make a pretty pattern. (you can probably find a video about this).

Put dough lined pan in freezer for at least 30 min - chilled hard! Then line pan with foil, and fill with beans, pennies or pie weights. Bake 375 deg for 23 min until dough looks dry. Then remove foil, and bake a few more minutes until light golden! (you can always cover edge with foil if it looks like it's getting too dark brown...

the fillin' for sweet potato pie (2 pies)
3 # sweet potatoes (just weigh at the store! and get a little extra to account for the skins..)
3 Tbsp butter, room temp
5 Eggs
3 Yolks
1.5 cups Sugar
3/4 tsp Nutmeg
1/2 tsp Cardamom
1/2 tsp Salt
3 Tbsp Bourbon
1.5 Tbsp Molasses
1.5 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 c Whole Milk (yes whole - just buy a pint)

Start this while the pie dough is freezing....but don't forget to throw the pie dough in the oven at some point so you have it cooked when the filling is ready. timing's not critical, but if you overlap it right, it goes much faster!

Prick the sweet potatoes well, and microwave covered with a wet paper towel (the steam helps them cook faster i find) for 10 minutes, about 50% power. Keep cooking a few minutes at a time until a knife goes in easily and they are completely cooked! Then let sit a few minutes, slice open, careful, they're really hot!!! Then as soon as you can pick them up, scrape out the flesh, or cut off the skin however you prefer. I press the sweet potatoes through a potato ricer to help smooth out the texture, but you can mash them with a fork (this is better than using a mixer or processor which will make them gummy..) The hot potato mash will melt the butter easily.

In a separate bowl, mix the eggs, yolks, sugar, nutmeg, cardamom and salt. Add in the bourbon, then molasses, then vanilla extract, and finally whisk in the milk. Gradually add in the liquid mixture a little at a time at first to the sweet potatoes, whisk gently until combined well.

Pour into the two pre-baked - lightly golden - shells. Bake at 350 (preheated!) for about 45 minutes, until the center is no longer liquid, but still a little jiggly. Watch the edge of the crust, and you can cover it with a little foil if necessary. Let the pie cool on the stove top or wire rack until room temperature (about 2 hours)

4 comments:

  1. wow! Sounds delicious! I was looking forward to your blog! I am determined to try it. I love sweet potato pie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. even though you're not in my group I had to read your blog this week--and man I'm glad I did!!! don't think I've ever had sweet potato pie but I am a major fan of pumpkin pie, so I am going to make this ASAP. This sounds delicious. YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sweet potato pie sounds awesome! I just finished eating lunch, but for some reason I feel hungry again... Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Markell,

    I love the idea of having two Thanksgiving feasts,yum! Sweet potato pie is so delicious I think I will have to try to make this during spring break I'll have plenty of time to try not to destroy your recipe! Thanks for sharing this I'll let you know if I end up making it.

    ReplyDelete